FBLA Finds Success at State Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

FBLA Finds Success at State Competition

Emily Porter, Staff Writer

Recently, Ms. Zubyk took ten qualifying FBLA students to a state competition in Orlando. The competition took place on Friday, March 24th at the Orlando Hilton.  FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America), is a club designed to help prepare students to become better citizens and employees. Students compete in various events pertaining to business and technology curriculum. One student, Curtis Gaskell, did exceptionally well in his category placing 4th out of over 100 other students. This earned him a spot at the FLBA National competition in Anaheim, California this summer.

Cassidy Willie, McCloud Gosnell, Seung Hyun, Noah Blevins, Jillian Steffens, Kiliegh Rice, Curtis Gaskell, Riley Holmes, Nathan Asbridge, and Samuel Stonehouse all attended the event. The eight students that contended earned their spots at states by placing fifth or above at their district competition. They battled in events such as: advertising, banking and financial systems, business communications, financial math, information technology, personal finance, and website design.

The event Curtis Gaskell competed in, “Introduction to Information Technology” is a particularly gruesome event; he had to take a test with over 180 questions. Gaskell’s performance is truly astonishing because he is only a freshman. He says, “I was not expecting to even place in my event, so I am quite excited to have the ability to move on to the national level. I was caught off guard, as I didn’t even study!”

Gaskell is going to attend a conference in Gainesville to review for his trip to Nationals. He gets to view the score he got on the test at states, and use that as a study guide to help him do the best he possibly can. Both Gaskell and Ms. Zubyk are excited for what the next three years in FBLA have to offer as they know that this is just the starting point for Gaskell’s potential in these events.