The student news site of Venice High School

The Beat

Drama Showcase Shines a Spotlight on Students

Julia Lee, Staff Writer

Students from the drama department recently saw their hard work come to fruition during the annual VHS Drama Showcase held on March 28th and 29th in the Venice Performing Arts Center. The event, organized and executed solely by students, also served as a “farewell” to seniors who have dedicated so much time to the program.

The showcase had a variety of theater stylings from musical theater to monologues and duet scenes. Seniors Hannah Richard and Coralie Jean-Marie performed their comedic scene from “The Odd Couple” (female version) for the last time. The scene got a superior rating at Districts and qualified for the state competition. They were not the only senior duo to perform in the showcase. Anthony DeSalvia and Antoinette Gagliano performed a musical theater piece entitled “Only Us” from the broadway musical, “Dear Evan Hansen,” the newest thespian obsession. DeSalvia then went solo singing a dramatic song from “Parade Musical” named “It’s Hard to Speak my Heart.” Isabel Jones and Maxwell Pierce both performed musical pieces from the hit musical “Hamilton: An American Musical.” Jones took the stage with “Burn” taking the role of a very hurt Eliza Schuyler, while Pierce took the role of King George in “You’ll Be Back.” Junior, Jessica Gonzalez, was a desperate Velma Kelly in “I Can’t Do it Alone” from “Chicago,” and not only did she sing it, but she choreographed the piece as well. Gonzalez also performed in the only group musical act with Maxwell Pierce (11), Julia Lee (10), and James Mayhey (12) performing a piece from “Hamilton: An American Musical” entitled “Take A Break” where sisters Angelica and Eliza (Lee and Gonzalez) desperately attempt to convince Alexander Hamilton (Pierce) to come upstate with them and his son (Mayhey). A technical difficulty during her rendition of “I’m Not Afraid of Anything” from “Songs of a New World” did not stop sophomore Chloe Sihler from a wonderful performance. Even though her music cut out during her performance, she did not falter and dazzled the audience with her captivating voice. There was also an amazing performance from one of Venice High’s Alumni, Melissa Dawson, performing contrasting monologues.

Overall, the showcase was a success both in performances and profit. All proceeds from the event support the drama department and their upcoming show. “The Importance of Being Ernest” is currently in production and will hold an opening night performance on April 21st in the VPAC.  Please visit veniceperformingartscenter.com for ticket information.